BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, August 7, 2009

I'm a PC


Well after talking about it for so long and doing a lot of price watching, I finally decided to build my own computer. It was really just a matter of finding what I wanted, at a price I was willing to pay. With technology changing so fast, one strategy I live by is never buy to newest. Something else will come out and make you frustrated for having paid so much. I go for what that new technology replaced. It's new to me and it is at a great price.

Building a computer is really not that hard. When I explain it to others, I like to refer to it as Legos for men, because all you are really doing is snapping things into place. However, you need to know what is compatible. Unlike Legos, you really can't mix and match any parts in these.


Just to get you a little oriented, if you look at my left pointer, I am showing you the location of where the memory (RAM) goes. This is not to be mistaken for your storage (Hard Drive) which people think of when they hear memory. My right hand is pointing to a huge monstrosity. This is where the CPU is found. A little lesson in computer vocabulary: The CPU is not the whole Computer, or tower (as computer people say). The CPU is the Central Processing Unit. This is essentially the brain of your computer. I take that back. We are the brain, the CPU is.... translates and carries out what we ask it to. But, for the sake of simplicity, it is just the Brain. That big thing is not the CPU, that is the heatsink and fan to cool the CPU. The actual processor it about the size of two postage stamps.

At this point I have everything I need inside, and I am now trying to figure out the wiring. That's what probably took the most time. I now know that some of it should be done prior to installing the mother board. Darn my large hands.





This is what it looks like all set up on my desk. That screen is not mine. It is a TV that my roommate was not using.


This is an attempt at a side view. The light in my room is horrible. I may have to take it out somewhere and do a complete 360 of it.

4 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

Sometime I disagree about who the brain is.. my computer or me...

I wonder if you could build a Mac?

Christina said...

Um..I'm speechless. That is just so incredibly awesome. I love this post and the photos!

cameron said...

uh... do the legos come with numbers and arrows on them so we know where to place them - I'd also need them color-coordinated with instructions and a diagram for each piece. Once I finally sat down to it - I'd just call you.

SO SO SO AWESOME! SMARTY PANTS...

Crystal and Jordan said...

so cool!